Senior Mechanical Engineer
Inboard Technology is currently seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer. This position owns the design and development of assigned components and systems, ensuring Inboard Technology has best-in-class mechanical design practices for its products, in order to achieve company objectives. Furthermore, this position has the responsibility to co-lead the optimization of systems and processes used in the design function and to mentor other Engineers as well as effectively communicate Engineering content to other company functions. This position is full time and will be working at our Soquel, California headquarters and report to the VP of Engineering.
- Has a strong voice in the mechanical architecture and direction of products sold by Inboard Technology.
- Identifies unique opportunities for Inboard Technology to develop, protect, build and maintain competitive advantage.
- Sets appropriate mechanical design strategies in the creation of assigned components.
- Schedules and leads design reviews at strategic points of a product’s development.
- Develops in-house mechanical design excellence within the functional group.
- Develops Engineering design and analysis tools/processes/techniques and has a strong voice in Engineering systems direction.
- Creates component or system-level timelines, tracks and reports on progress vs. established timeline.
- Accountable for holding due-dates, understands inter-dependencies between engineering development timelines and downstream stakeholders.
- Maintains parts’ database through generation of assigned part numbers and descriptions.
- Owns full documentation and revision control of assigned parts, including associated engineering drawings and other documents.
- Generates and tracks to implementation Engineering Change Orders (ECOs)
- Generates and maintains revisions of Bills of Materials (BOMs).
- Prepares documents to support regulatory submissions, manufacturing and sales.
- Reviews and approves assembly and service processes associated with assigned parts.
- Leads Engineering response to manufacturing or field issues on assigned parts.
- Leads in root cause analysis of issues with existing product.
- Mentors and trains Jr. Engineers and checks their work.
- Thorough cross functional communication, effectively communicating Engineering function to internal and external stakeholders
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience; Master’s degree a plusMinimum of 8 years of relevant engineering experience w/advanced working knowledge of
- Electromechanical products
- Device types and applications
- Broad spectrum of strength in material application and specification
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing processes; forging, casting, machining, injection molding, weldments, sheet metal fabrication, painting and other surface treatments
- Experienced with thermal simulation and FEA analysis
- Mechanical Engineering analysis and simulation techniques
- GD&T and tolerance stack analysis
- Experience with Bills of Materials, Engineering Change Orders, Document Support
Preferred Experience (any of the following):
- Electric mobility, or battery powered device experience
- Electrical Engineering experience
- Finite Element Analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Injection Molded Plastics/Plastic Enclosure design
- Mobility or vehicle regulatory experience
- Electrical component packaging
- Development and integration of innovative technical concepts up to and including patentable innovations
Skills and Attributes:
- Team leadership and solid sense of ownership
- Excellent follow-through and documentation of work
- Multi-tasking ability; scheduling, time and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, superior attention to detail
- Diligent, reliable and tenacious
- Hands-on mechanical aptitude
- Mentorship ability
- US work eligibility
- USkate board or other board sports enthusiast a plus
- UOccasional domestic or international travel may be required
- UPhysical and Sensory Requirements:
- UCandidate must be able to sit for long periods of time to perform duties, and to walk around and make inquiries from other staff, management as needed.
- UMust be able to bend or stoop down to access files, including lifting of items or objects up to 30 lbs.